Information for using Business Entity Search
Business Entity Search allows for searches of the State of Michigan Corporations Division database.
Table of Contents:
- System Requirements
- How Business Entity Search Works
- Entering Data
- Problem with Data Types
- Search Methods
The following is required to use Business Entity Search:
- You must allow per-session cookies
What are per-session cookies and why do I need to accept them?
- Per-session cookies are NOT stored on your hard drive, and they do not contain any personal information whatsoever.
- Per-session cookies are nothing more than a random, unique number generated when you first access the site.
- Example of per-session cookies: ASPSESSIONIDGGQGGQCO=KGAHFDGDANBGKLJCFBGEDAGC
- Per-session cookies disappear as soon as you close your browser, or they will time-out after 20 minutes.
How Business Entity Search works:
- The first step in a business entity search is to select the type of search that you wish to complete. The four available options are to search by: entity name, identification number, filing number, or by an individual's name. When searching for an entity or individual name, a search method may also be selected. The available search methods are: exact match, begins with, full text (entity name only), or soundex search.
- When an entity name or individual is selected, a list of results that resemble the search criteria is returned to the user. Choose the desired result by clicking the hyperlink to display a summary screen of the entity's information. The summary screen can be reached directly by selecting and entering an identification number for the original search criteria.
- From the summary screen, select on a type of filing or activity to display specific filings. A list of filings that pertain to the selection will be returned. The screen can be reached directly by selecting and entering a filing number for the original search criteria.
- If a hyperlink is displayed next to the filing, the filing can be viewed online. Click the hyperlink to view the filing. NOTE: Adobe Reader is required for viewing the document.
Entering Data into an Online Form
Data is entered on the form by positioning the cursor on the desired input field and typing. Use Tab key or a mouse click to move from field to field and Backspace key to make corrections.
Note: Using the web browser’s back arrow will clear all data that has been entered.
Problem with Data Types
Certain fields require data to be entered in a specific format, such as numeric only. Entering data in an invalid format in these fields will return an error.
- Exact Match - The system will return all records that exactly match the entered search criteria.
- Begins With - The system will return all records that begins with the entered search criteria.
- Full Text - The system will return all records that contain the words that were entered in the search criteria.
- Soundex - The system will return all records that the sound like the words entered in the search criteria.